Soviet Russian political prison on Lonskiy Street, Lviv

Пам'ятаю ... заради свобода :: Remember ... for the sake of freedom

The USSR invaded Poland on September 17, 1939, joining its ally, Nazi Germany. Lviv (then known as Lwów) was a part of Poland, and was occupied by Soviet Russians. The prison on Lonskiy Street had been used by the Poles to hold and interrogate political prisoners, mostly members of the Organisation of Ukrainian Nationalists. Its use was taken over and expanded by the NKVD (predecessor of the KGB, predecessor of the FSB) to also include Greek Catholic believers.

Cell for those awaiting execution by Soviet Russians, Lonskiy Street prison, Lviv
 

This is the cell for Ukrainian political prisoners who were awaiting execution by the Russians. They were kept in this tiny cell for up to two months, before they were shot.

Soviet Russian prison on Lonskiy Street, Lviv, 1941

When Nazi Germany attacked the USSR in 1941, Stalin ordered that every Ukrainian nationalist who could be found in the occupied territory of Galicia be shot. At Lonskiy Prison, 1681 men and women, from the ages of 13 to 70, were massacred by the Russians over a few days in June. This photo was taken for German propaganda, and shows the people of Lviv looking for their relatives among the dead.

Remember … for the sake of freedom.

Lonskiy Prison was not for criminals, but for prisoners of conscience. It was an equal opportunity hell, inflicted on Ukrainians by Poles, Soviet Russians, Nazi Germans, and then Soviet Russians again, from 1919 to 1989.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *